Aqaba Castle is also known as Aqaba Fort or Mamluk Castle.
It is a fortified structure that was built by the
a group of slave soldiers
who ruled over Egypt and parts of the Middle East in the 13th to 16th centuries AD.
The castle was built to defend against potential attacks from the sea, and it served as an important military base for the Mamluks. In the 19th century, the castle was used by the Ottoman Turks as a military base and as a place of defense against potential attacks.
Parts of the castle also commemorate the victory of the Arabs over the Ottoman Empire during the Arab Revolt of 1917.
After Jordan gained independence from Ottoman rule in the 20th century, the castle was used for a variety of purposes, including a police station and a public park.
It was partially destroyed by British shelling during the First World War.
Below are thumbnails of each of the photos.
Click on any image to enlarge it.
The enlarged image will open in a new window. From there, you can either close the window and choose another to enlarge or simply click the "Next" or "Previous" button to scan through all pictures.